PURPOSE: Provide individuals in shelters and low-income housing with a CommUnity group that combines:
· Health, fitness, and safety
· Exploration of New York City’s rich cultural heritage
· Service-Learning Programs that celebrate culture, diversity; and the importance of giving back to the community to improve our neighborhoods
· Improve overall wellbeing, fitness, confidence, and sense of belonging
· Empower youth to be owners and creators of their own future and our collective future
· Foster appreciation, compassion, and kindness to self and others via community service
· Design lessons that expand learning and enrichment.
· Create a network of mentors and role models for youth and families.
· Recognize the importance of collaboration with local businesses, civic leaders, mentors, and volunteers in promoting learning and appreciation for community
EDUCATION, LEADERSHIP, AND INITIATIVE:
Aside from the more obvious wellness benefit of ensuring our youth have access to regular, safe, liberating cycling groups, the foundation of this program incorporates the development of critical life skills to assure these kids realize their unlimited potential and impact they can have on society
Each trip will include an entrepreneurial component that incorporates problem solving, creative thinking, business development, economics, math, writing; creating a vision, and having the determination to collaborate and follow it through.